Sunday, August 14, 2011

Student Body President Pound Cake

So, who makes their own pound cake anyway? Doesn't everyone just buy Entenmann's or Awrey's and call it a day? Apparently not Alice. What I did like is that her recipe called for Amaretto, and I like Amaretto. Flour, butter, vanilla, almond extract, sugar, you get the picture. Alice said to do it all by hand, but I used my trusty KitchenAid. It should surprise no one that  Denni and I have a history regarding the KitchenAid mixer. He got one from his mother for Christmas years ago and I wanted it. He told me no. I bugged him about it for at least a year if not two becasue they never used it. Then, for Christmas, we were at Judy and Denni's and there was a box wrapped up with my name on it, from him, just the right size and weight to be the mixer. I was sure I had finally won. But, of course the joke was on me when I opened it. It was the mixer box, which got me excited (just what he wanted), but inside was a giant can of baked beans. I should have kicked his ass.



Episode Note: "Vote for Brady" Early first season conflict between Marcia and Greg when they are both nominated  for Student Body President. We see the divide of boy versus girls in the household and a lecture from Mike ensues about family first. Meanwhile, Mike and Carol try to remain impartial. Marcia devises catchy campaign slogans like "Be a Good Citizen and Vote for Marcia Brady" and promises if elected she will try to get more boys to attend the Friday night school dances. Greg uses Mike's tape recorder to record his pledges, but in a pre-Watergate conspiracy they are mysteriously erased (makes me wonder if Nixon wasn't a fan of the show). The campaign goes negative fast when Greg's fast talking manager, Rusty, wants to spread rumors about Marcia around school. This enrages Greg and he fires Rusty, prompting Marcia to withdraw from the race and endorse her "real groovy and more experienced" brother. Mmmm, going to have leave that one alone as well. Anyway, Greg wins by default and goes on to rule the school.

1 comment:

  1. The can of beans was typical Denni. You wanted to hit him for being so mean, but at they same time you were won over by the wit and that smirk, which you wanted to wipe off his face, but well, you were laughing too hard. In the end, you weren't mad at all. How many times where we all a victim of this?

    ReplyDelete