Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

This is my 123rd post and my last for "Cooking with Alice." I have prepared 102 recipes (which is more than the authors can say) and blogged for each of 117 episodes of the series. Back in June, when I started this, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Which is a good thing, because if I had been in my right mind I never would have done it. I want to thank all of  you who encouraged and laughed and cried along side of me through this process. At the onset, it didn't seem that life could move forward, but of course it has. There have been highs and lows and a lot of bittersweet (or should I say butter-sweet?) moments in between. The chef Julia Child had the philosophy that laughter was as delicious as food, so if that is the case, everything I made was scrumptious. I am glad to be ending on a high note, like the Mary Tyler Moore Show, rather than being cancelled without notice like The Brady Bunch. I want to especially thank Mark and Julia. Mark is my silent partner and my better half. He kept me going when I so wanted to quit, always reminding me that Denni would never let me hear the end of it if I did. And my own Julia child, whose sweetness and good nature kept us focused, never forgetting the sacrifice of eating nasty food was for Uncle Denni. I wish life were like TV, so I could just wake up next to Suzanne Pleschette and have this all have been a dream, but it isn't, and saying goodbye to Alice is like saying goodbye to Denni, for a second time. I truly felt like he was with me everyday in the kitchen, and I will admit to talking to him on the days things didn't go as planned. In June, I didn't know how I would make it through each day and I needed a crutch, which this blog turned out to be.  As a whole, I have learned a lot about myself and cooking (mostly how not to). This experience has expanded my horizons, we will have to wait and see where it takes me next. Stay tuned.






Episode Note: "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" Feeling that the boys need to bond with their new stepmother, Alice defers all requests for band-aids, buttons, and arbitrations to Carol. Carol is elated, making her 'feel like a mother and wife' for the first time since moving in.  Alice does such a good job, that she manuvers herself right out of job, feeling that they no longer need her. She makes up a story about a sick Aunt in Seattle, and turns in her resignation. Everyone is saddened at the prospect of losing Alice, but Carol realizes that Alice just may feel overburdened by the expanded family. Mike thinks he can solve the matter by offereing her a pay raise, which she refuses. But then, Jan and Marcia overhear Alice on the phone telling a friend she's obsolete (like a victrola when the new stereo arrives). They of course blab this to the rest of the family, and the Brady's conspire to show Alice how much she is needed by creating chaos that only she can handle. She sees through the ruse, but realizes there is still a place for her in their home and decides to stay. Good old Alice, always there when you need her the most.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Joan, for taking us all along on your Brady Bunch journey. It was more than the cooking and your commentary, but the aid in the grieving process that I appreciated. More than anything... thank you for honoring his memory with a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor and your own creativity. Most of all thank you for loving my brother <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan, you are one of the most strong and most brave women I know. I am sorry for your loss. I am thankful that you managed to turn that loss into an opportunity for the world to be exposed to your humor, your warmth and your shining personality. I will miss your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I still post crazy comments? I kept looking for the "inside joke" while reading the "episode notes." Then I realized you were just writing about the show...duh.

    I love the warmth and humor of your writing..... and it is much better than notes about "Gone With the Wind." Keep up the "other" so I can post crazy comments somewhere!

    Ps - Glad you love your job!
    Sincerely,
    Melba Toast

    ReplyDelete