Friday, October 7, 2011

Misunderstanding Mashed Potato Cakes

I don't think I get this. Cold mashed potatoes (Alice didn't tell me how to get them) mixed with butter and flour, then turned onto a floured surface, rolled out (which was impossible), cut into "fun" shapes (her idea of a joke) and fried on a griddle for 3 minutes per side. Yes, you read that correctly. Well, as you can tell from the photo, the shapes weren't very fun, but they started out as pumpkins, butterflies and ice cream cones, I kid you not. Taste wise, we all agreed that they were edible, but a waste of some good mashed potatoes, which are a staple in our house. Perhaps I just misunderstood Alice's intent. It is clear, I shall be tested until the bitter end.





Episode Note: "Goodbye Alice, Hello" (Sometimes known as the "Kay" episode in super fan circles) A series of unfortunate events leads the kids to give Alice the silent treatment. She reluctantly rats Greg and Peter out for breaking a lamp (turns out Mom never said not to toss a Frisbee in the house) and also innocently squeals on Marcia for leaving the record player on. Feeling as though she irreparably breached their trust, and is no longer a friend to the kids, Alice resigns. Heartbroken, she has decided that it is finally time to move on. She gets a more than suitable replacement in Kay, her housekeeper BFF. Kay is all cooking and cleaning and no small talk. She believes not to get involved personally with the family who employs her. The contrast between jovial, fun loving Alice and staid Kay becomes startling to the kids. They begin to long for the old days (two days prior) and  Alice. Feeling remorse for treating her poorly, they get Kay to tell them where Alice  is, and track her down at a local diner, where she is a waitress. They convince Alice that they do love her and want her back. She clicks her heels together and returns to the Brady household, knowing that there's no place like home.

3 comments:

  1. I do this with leftover mashed spuds. Mince in some garlic and onion for a lunch & dinner side or serve with bacon as a breakfast dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the last sentence as: "It is clear, I shall be tested until the BUTTER end." Clearly, I have butter on my mind whenever I read your blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this today and it came out equally awful. My Dennis makes them with goat cheese and they always come out great. Why does he "get it" and we are stumped? MB

    ReplyDelete