Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dear Libby

Earlier this week, Facebook, in its infinite wisdom, under the "People You May Know" heading, suggested that Dennis Chamberlain and I may want to become friends since we have 15 friends in common. If it were only that easy. The first time I met Denni was in the summer of 1985 at South Quad. I recognized him from photos I had seen and his telltale white Pontiac Sunbird was parked outside. I went up to him and introduced myself as Judy's sister. He grunted something inaudible and walked away. I thought he was a jerk. It was the beginning of a beautiful  friendship.


And now for a few questions from the folks at home:
"Not That Into It" from New York, clearly not a devotee of the show, recently asked if these recipes were actually featured in any of the episodes. The answer is no, with the exception of pork chops and applesauce, which we haven't gotten to yet. The only thing Alice regularly offered the kids to eat was a plate of cookies.
"Faithful Follower" from Florida writes that her comments aren't showing up on the blog. My apologies. I have no idea as the blogger and not a blogee how it works. I think you have to join as a follower, log in, view the post, click on Comments at the end of the post, write your comment, choose your profile and click post comment. Hope that helps.
"Sucked-In" from Saginaw, expressed concern that I might run out of recipes too soon. The answer, I doubt it. This will go on for a while, but I am skipping anything else with tuna (and possibly anchovies).  Denni would have wanted it that way.

Episode Note: "Dear Libby" The second episode of the series already puts in question the relationship status of Mike and Carol. The kids read an advice column, Dear Libby, about someone with an identical living situation as their parents who signs the letter "Harried and Hopeless". Each child writes to Dear Libby (using pseudonyms such as "Real Frantic", "Down in the Mouth", and "Guilt Complex") asking where the letter came from. Receiving seven letters from the same address (Alice, aka "Innocent Bystander" wrote one, too), Libby visits the Brady home to assure the family that the original letter came from Ohio. What a relief.

4 comments:

  1. I met Dennis when I was about 4 . We rented one of the Chamberlains's 8 Point Lake cottages and I can remember playing outside with him and Linda. Our friendship blossomed in Junior High when we were in Mrs. Hollingsworth's drama class. Seems quite fitting since our high school years were filled with drama.

    Now that Joan has taught us all to post a comment, let us know how you met Dennis, a.k.a. Denni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Denni in September of 1984 in Ann Arbor. We were introduced by Mary Antieau. The rest, as they say, is history (and herstory).

    Gleek in Grand Rapids

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Jove I think I may have this posting thing down!
    FFFF
    (Faithful Follower From Florida)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met Denni the day he came home from the hospital. I spent the next two years giving him baths, feeding him, and telling him numerous stories about carbringers (his favorite type of truck), Jolee Bolee Pier (don't ask), and Winnie the Pooh (our favorite). He was precocious and was taught to tell everyone that at the age of two. "I'm pre-toe-shush".

    I watched a scared golden retriever pup bolt up the stairs of his new home into the arms of his newest best friend, Dennis. I wiped Denni's tears when he complained that the neighborhood kids could always find him during games of hide and seek cause that darn dog followed him EVERYWHERE!

    I had a hard time keeping from laughing when he did a very stiff, walk into the house because some kids decided to make him into a scarecrow by stuffing his arms and shirt with fall leaves.

    I was ready to choke his young teenaged butt when, in a fit of anger (because I wouldn't take him with me), he yelled out to me "He loses" as I was leaving to go see the new show "Rocky" at the local theater.

    I was so glad that he was there to watch my baby, Greg, when he was between U of M and Notre Dame. They watched Winnie the Pooh, and read stories, and road around in a white convertible. Pooh Bear was their bond until the Woverines grabbed both their hearts. Go Blue!
    FFFF

    ReplyDelete