Saturday, July 16, 2011

Tell it Like it Is

I apologize for no cooking, we are in Grand Rapids to see Paige in Hairspray. I promise a full week of recipes starting Monday, and coming in August a guest chef feature will be added to the blog. But that doesn't mean I don't have things to say today.

You know yesterday's cookie recipe? Alice lifted it from Nestle. I noticed it was the exact same as the Tollhouse Cookie recipe on the bag of chocolate chips. Bad Alice. But they were good cookies...

Robert Reed was the greatest actor of his generation. Don't believe me? Watch any of his scenes with Florence Henderson. Just sayin.

I happened to have indiscriminately stuck the prayer card from the funeral on my kitchen cabinet, directly above where my computer sits. I looked up one day to realize that Denni is literally looking down and smiling on me as I write these posts. It's a sign.

Speaking of signs, a local Detroit TV station shows Brady Bunch episodes daily (not in any particular order) and we have them set to record on our DVR. Since this blog has started, on at least four occasions (three of which were this week), the recipe that was planned for a particular day was also the episode that showed up on the DVR on the same day. Freaky. There is a higher Brady power at work here.

Speaking of a higher Brady power, with the passing of Sherwood Schwartz this week, I can rest a little easier now that I know Denni is in sitcom heaven.

I have had a lot of comments about the plates and bowls I've used in the food photos. Most of them are courtesy of my friend Anne ("Watching in Wisconsin") who has amassed a stellar collection of retro chic dinnerware and has graciously shared some with me. Anne is also a huge BB fan, and our friendship was formed watching reruns every afternoon when we were in high school. I owe the Bradys a lot.

Finally, I like the new monikers that some of the followers have adopted in their comments. I think everyone should do it. If you need ideas, I would be happy to help. And, frankly, I'll just give you one whether you like it or not.

Episode Note: "Tell it Like it Is" Carol is asked to write an article for "Tomorrow's Woman" magazine about her life as a housewife and mother of six children in a merged family. Her first draft tells the true story of eight people living in a house together, warts and all. It is rejected by the editor for being too realistic, and not a positive enough spin for their readers. Mike convinces the magazine to give Carol another try, and this time she writes the story of the two families coming together in an idealized fashion, where evreything is perfect and there are never any troubles (you know, like the Brady Bunch). Liking the new version, Tomorrow's  Woman decides to print it and sets up a photo session at the Brady Home. Carol mixes up the time and is in her robe and curlers when they arrive. The kids then come from school, battered , torn and bickering - not at all like in the article. The magazine realizes the mistake in not printing the original, true version, where Carol tells it like it is.

1 comment:

  1. Tell it like it is? I'm exhausted. You're exhausted. We're all exhausted. What a last few days/weeks/months...

    Dumpster rental $225. Locksmith $76. Appliance dolly rental $10. Hot dog at hardware store $1. Wonderful sisters? Priceless.

    Gleek in GR

    ReplyDelete